您的位置:站长主页 -> 繁星客栈 -> 听雪轩 (教育哲学论坛) -> Females have disadvantages in intelligence? (1) May 14, 2024

Females have disadvantages in intelligence? (1)

用户登陆 | 刷新 本版嘉宾: 快刀浪子 星空浩淼 XXFF

卢昌海

发表文章数: 1617
武功等级: 北冥神功
     (第一重)
内力值: 602/602

Females have disadvantages in intelligence? (1)

******** 本文是彼黍离离发在旧服务器上的贴子,我将之复制过来,以飨读者 ********

Females have disadvantages in intelligence?

Author: 彼黍离离

Some people would say yes. One of the evidences is the numbers of females who are pursuing Engineering is small, and the employment rate of females in this area is small as well.

However, I would say, this evidence does not necessarily support this opinion.

I would talk about my understanding to some statistics. Have a look at the following data:

**2002年美国大学女生在engineering area学科的入学(full-time)人数占总招生数的17.2%.**

**Females accounted for about 20.5 percent of bechelor's degrees in engineering in 2002. (NSF)**
( This is the very area where the biggest difference exists in Science. C.S, 27.6 %(2001), is in the second place.)

** Females accounted for about 19.6 percent of doctors’ degrees, while the employed engineering doctorate female holders just account for 8.1%. (NSF, 2001)**

Please notice the first statistics showing the percentage of enrolled female students in engineering area. The data showed an existing big imbalance.
Such kind of an imbalance means the opportunities to tertiary education for girls and boys are not really equal.

Regarding the numbers of enrolments, we can understand the big difference of the numbers of bachelors' or higher degrees in engineering area. This could be explained by the results of the limitation to the educational resource.

When we looking at these dates again, I would say, if we use academic achievement or the employment rate to measure the difference in ability and intelligence between female and male, we would not necessarily get the conclusion that female has disadvantages in ability in doing such a subject.

That is the reason why we want to ask why there is such a big difference existing is accessing to this area. That is the reason why we want to ask what are the real factors affecting girls' interests in accessing to this subject.

宠辱不惊,看庭前花开花落
去留无意,望天空云卷云舒

发表时间:2006-05-01, 16:38:24 作者资料

卢昌海

发表文章数: 1617
武功等级: 北冥神功
     (第一重)
内力值: 602/602

Re: Females have disadvantages in intelligence? (1

本文是我上午的回帖,也是复制过来的 (说明一下以免大家以为我一分钟就能码这么多字。:)

:: Please notice the first statistics showing the percentage of enrolled female
:: students in engineering area. The data showed an existing big imbalance.
:: Such kind of an imbalance means the opportunities to tertiary education for girls
:: and boys are not really equal.

There is a big unbalance for sure. But I don't see how can you draw the conclusion of nonequal "opportunities" from this data. This data support all the following possibilities:

1. nonequal opportunity
2. nonequal ability
3. nonequal interest

:: Regarding the numbers of enrolments, we can understand the big difference of the
:: numbers of bachelors' or higher degrees in engineering area. This could be explained
:: by the results of the limitation to the educational resource.

It "could be" explained by "the results of the limitation to the educational resource", but that's not the only explanation. It could also be explained by those other possibilities we have been discussing. No conclusion can be drawn here as well.

:: When we looking at these dates again, I would say, if we use academic achievement or the
:: employment rate to measure the difference in ability and intelligence between female and
:: male, we would not necessarily get the conclusion that female has disadvantages in ability
:: in doing such a subject.

It is true in the sense that no conclusion can be NECESSARILY drawn from the data (otherwise the the female average disadvantage or uninterestness in this area would have been proved). On the other hand, the data could be used as an indication of POSSIBLE female average disadvantage or average uninterestness in this area. It can also be used as indication of other possibilities. This is, as we all admitted before, an open issue.

宠辱不惊,看庭前花开花落
去留无意,望天空云卷云舒

发表时间:2006-05-01, 16:39:32 作者资料

gage

发表文章数: 466
武功等级: 空明拳
     (第三重)
内力值: 415/415

Re: Females have disadvantages in intelligence? (1)

我认为有差别,而且差别不小。
就说桥牌吧,集中的体现了女人好斗这一大特点。女性牌手多半意气用事,不讲道理。当然她们自认为挺有道理的。
尊重女性一定要正视男女之间的客观差别,而不是女权主义者那样盲目地要求男女间绝对的平等。
H.Weyl很恶,说过一句话,世界上(他那个年代)有两个女数学家,一个不是数学家,另一个不是女人。第一个是和Weierstrass合作的俄罗斯美女,第二个是E.Noether .

繁星满目的夜晚
我举头四望
从此我知道
众星都离我远去

发表时间:2006-06-13, 12:14:59  作者资料